November 5, 2012

Politically Charged

I've enjoyed this little bloggy world during this crazy election season. I'm not sure I've read any politically charged posts--at all: And I find that refreshing. We have been bombarded by every other media outlet out there. I'm hesitant to sign into facebook for the mere fact of seeing friends of mine debating issues with an intensity that puts large divides amongst otherwise friends. If your facebook or twitter looks anything like mine, then you probably know what I mean.

I think it all falls back on passion.

Passion is a pretty incredible thing. I'd like to say I have a bit of it myself. I love witnessing passion in others as well. And when I think of passion I typically think of positive devotion. So when I observe others around me positively devoted to something outside themselves--I long to have that same level of desire--that same drive for purpose and meaning.

But sometimes our passions can over shadow our well intended intentions: and when that happens, I think we have failed entirely.

In the tail end of this political season I have tried my hardest to be respectful of all people and all positions. It doesn't mean I have any less passion for political topics, but I have passion for people far before political jabs and name calling.

I respect political passion and it has its time and place, but for me and for my approach to loving others, I'm careful with politics. I hate knowing that these positions and stances we take may jeopardize relationships--real friendships. It's not something worth loosing to me.

I cannot be more thankful for the country we live in. The freedoms we have, the ability to exercise our right to vote-- in most cases & comparatively-- we've got it pretty good. But I will also desire and encourage each one of us to cultivate our passions in ways that do good and remarkable things. We have choices in our approach and delivery and if we choose to take the more respectable and thoughtful route, our passions will do far more good than bad.

Tomorrow it's all over, at least for a few more years, but our approach to relationships and the way we communicate will continue on. Maybe we can learn from the intensity of our current facebook pages and twitter sites that words are powerful and we are each capable of pretty incredible passions--good and bad.

Passion can drive us, but it can also consume us in ways that risk everything we ever desired to be in the first place.

That's when our ability to love others becomes second to everything else. That's how we fail.

Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government. 1 Peter 2:17




No comments:

Post a Comment